Friday, December 13, 2013

Free Bird

My grocery store was having a sale just before Thanksgiving.  Spend over a hundred dollars and get a free turkey.  I didn't know about the sale when I went in for some routine stuff.  I already had plans for the holiday that didn't involve my own turkey but it was a dozen pounds of ice so I accepted.  Since the bird was frozen I put it into my freezer to keep for after the holiday.
After I got back from holiday travel I took the turkey out to thaw.  If you've ever hosted a Thanksgiving dinner of your own you know that thawing the turkey is a traditional and oft-neglected critical step for many families.  Anyway, after this chemical process of changing phase from ice to meat was completed, the turkey was ready to cook.  I decided not to do another garbage can turkey, though.  This gobbler got grilled.
Grilled Gobbler
Grilling is a simple chemical process to convert meat into delicious through the application of heat.  I use a pretty simple set up with indirect heat in a worthless generic kettle grill best grill ever made.  An indirect heat set-up has the meat in the center over a drip tray with the coals on either side.  I also wanted a mesquite smoked flavor because that's traditional so I made arrangements for that.  There's an accessory for my grill that holds wet wood chips.  The wood for smoking is wet so it smokes instead of burning, of course.  Then close the lid, leave the vents open, and enjoy responsible beverages for a few hours while the turkey cooks.