Saturday, April 9, 2016

Zero for Two

Well, I'm having the best of luck in the kitchen lately.  A little awhile ago, I made vinegar instead of the dark ale the recipe was for. So that's my adventures in brewing. During this time, I've also been canning food because that's a good way to save food. Especially useful with the amount of food we get from the food co-op. Tomatoes, pickles, and fruit jelly are the most common items to can. my last batch of jelly didn't turn out well. What you're supposed to do is mash the fruit with sugar to make a syrup and then the syrup is supposed to set as it goes into the jars. In this latest batch, the syrup never set and I don't know why. It's still strawberry syrup so it's not like the whole batch has to be thrown out. It's just one of those things that I'll have to try again with more berries some other time. Oh well.