Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Supportive Letter to Boy Scouts of America

As many of my readers, and anyone who looks at my profile, already know, I am an Eagle Scout and currently a unit leader in Arizona. Boy Scouts of America is in the news lately for an upcoming policy change at the national level. This change would remove the national membership restriction regarding sexual orientation and would leave membership policies up to the unit's chartering organization. There are many ways to register your support for this long-overdue policy change.

I wrote this letter to them in support:

Good afternoon, I am writing today to register my support in ending the ban on homosexual scouts and volunteers. The strength of this organization, and its ability to develop strong leaders, is the variety of viewpoints and activities to which scouts are exposed. These boys will succeed in the future, as everything from tradesmen to executives, by their ability to work with and lead diverse organizations. These early experiences of inclusion and support will prepare them well for the future. I urge you to follow through and support inclusion and diversity at all levels.

Yours in Scouting,

Michael K. Rainey
Venture Advisor, Crew 444
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 444
Catalina Council

Be Prepared