Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Dream

It's always the same nightmare.

I sit up in bed but I'm not in my room anymore. It's night time and I'm in a clearing in the woods. There's a full moon up but the sky is cloudy, casting the world into deceitful shadow. The clearing is covered in deep grass right out to the tree line. That's where the shapes are moving, circling, surrounding me.
A slight breeze on the night air brings the scent of deep forest, verdant grass, and... them. An animal smell; fur, sweat, anger, and a touch of fear. They glance into the clearing occasionally, gazing at me with their pale yellow eyes.
These creatures have little concern for me. I neither incite anger nor instill fear in these dark beings. I know I am still dreaming but I am bound to these things somehow. Am I still dreaming?
It doesn't matter; I don't have their attention. These hounds are focused on something else; something out there in the forest. Something approaching.
It is the evil that stalks sleepers in the dark. This eternal curse.

Leaping out of bed I join the pack in tonight's chase. Now we are the hunters.

It's always the same dream.