Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Where do I go from here?

It's been a while since I posted last. I'm not a very prolific blogger. There's actually a very good reason for that. I have a day job. Which is a good thing, really, since I would never make any money writing like this. In any event, I do have a few things I'll be trying out on this blog in the months to come. Click through the page view generator to see what I've got planned.

One of the first things I want to try is a short story I've been working on. It's a comedy in three acts. I'll even throw in some free illustrations. The story is called The Device and it follows the misadventures of a coterie of interstellar explorers as they decipher the hidden secrets of an alien treasure vault! Since I don't know how to write I'll just fall back on all that crap I learned in high school. The lesson plan tells me to use the first act to introduce the players and establish the conflict. That's easy; and if you caught the music reference I've already used, you might win a cameo role in the story. Continuing the English Lit. lesson, act two builds to the climax of the conflict and transitions into act three as it is resolved. So it sounds pretty easy but I haven't done any creative writing like this in years. Implementation guides and system design plans have been my thing lately.

The next feature I'll introduce is a four-part comic based on some online role-playing game I heard about. It's not very popular so you might not have known about it before this. It's just a quick five-panel joke-of-the-week style strip but I'll drag it out and deliver it over several installations. The comic will probably come out before the short story since I've got the panels laid out. I just need to fire up the ole vector graphics engine to render it.
So, stick around and this might actually turn into a blog with some regular features.