I've just completed a batch of mead following the recipe from Brewing Mead. It's much better than the peach abomination I made last summer but it's still not as good as a commercial mead like Chaucer's. The new technique to prep the honey paid off and the clarity is much better but my mead is quite dry.
Like I said in the previous article I made not mead but the more advanced metheglin. The difference is the addition of a spiced tea before bottling. I used Anaheim peppers from our local food cooperative. The pepper tea reduced the clarity somewhat so I will need to work on processing the gruit. Perhaps by extracting the flavor at a lower temperature. I'll need a book on canning, I think. Incidentally, the pepper pairs well with the dryness in this batch. I think it is good but it's nothing like the mead you get at a Renaissance Fair.
Some time later, I'll try the sack mead recipe with more honey and sweet mead yeast.
Trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are used for example only and should not be taken as endorsement or advertisement. Please drink responsibly.